Saturday 27 February 2016

Setting Intentions

The time now is 4.57am. UFC London finished a few hours ago and after hanging out downstairs, talking shop for the past couple of hours, its time to refocus. In about twelve hours I fly to Peru for a two-week hideaway, to find my balance again and clear the way forward. It’s important when embarking upon a vision-quest such as this, to prepare your mind for what its about to go through. Setting intentions before it begins, is a good way of guiding your thoughts towards the subjects which need most attention.

My state of mind heading into the last journey was hugely different. Life has moved on, as it does, and I find myself in a rather different place. The balance that I felt close to achieving was suddenly disrupted when I was pulled from my last fight. Almost three years to the day since I was sitting in my truck outside the hospital in Vegas, knowing that I wouldn’t be cleared and wondering what comes next. I have been taken by the current of opportunity and dove head first into my new job, but the balance elsewhere in my life is no longer there and I have to address it.

What I hope to achieve by writing this, is to lay out for everyone to read, what I feel I need to look at within myself. Intentions are always more powerful when written down, and even more so when shared. The first one is to explore my feelings towards this supposed anomaly, and how its arrival into my life has altered things. I need to meditate on a return to fighting, a question I get asked constantly (and I thank you all for the love). I have so many voices around me and so many opinions that its sometimes hard to distinguish which one is my own. 

I suppose they are pretty obvious ones, the next one probably not so much. Since stepping away from competition I have been forced to learn about myself as the person, without fighting in my life. Which, for many years had been everything, and the very thing upon which I define myself. Being an athlete puts every other aspect of your life out of balance. It becomes all consuming, unless you are very good at managing your time, and detaching when you aren’t ‘at work’. I think fighters tend to be obsessive, and I know I was.

The day fighting was removed as my primary focus, it made room for a lot of other things. Experiences and challenges that have forced me to take a deeper look at the person I am, and how I interact with my surroundings, without the excuse or distraction of training camp. When I say excuse, I mean for being a miserable bastard most of the time. I would spend my days alone, simply because I didn’t have the energy or patience for anyone else. My poor family remember before I moved out, how little I would interact when I got home from training, and how hostile it must have seemed.

It appears that after three years of getting to know myself, I’m quite an extreme introvert. I know, I wasn’t expecting it either, but its becoming more and more apparent the more I read about it. As a child I spent a lot of time on my own, purely by choice. I have quite a creative imagination and could sit and build Lego or draw pictures for hours. I am happy in complete silence, and find people and public places difficult. I seem to be good for about four hours in a day, but after that I really prefer to be in a quiet space on my own. 

I work obsessively when researching fights or writing, spending most of the early hours at my laptop, rambling on about nothing and deleting it a few hours later. My mind is calm when I am alone and if I don’t get space for a few days consecutively, I become very agitated and short-tempered. This is why the boat race was going to be such a challenge for me, and I am proud of myself for managing so well. It was still difficult, and I really got to know myself, and how important that personal space it for me to recharge.

After a few days on the boat I found ways to escape for a few minutes, but that first time stepping into a hotel room in Rio, I closed the door behind me and sat against it so nobody could get in. I sat there for over an hour, until my asscheek fell asleep and I moved to a flat, stationary bed, that I didn’t need tying into for my own safety. The relief was incredible. I found it hard to leave the room for a few days, and would only talk myself into going out to see my crew or one of the sights in Rio.

I could go on and on, but I don’t need to. Thats not the point. I have identified this characteristic and am enjoying the process of learning about it. I have some good literature on related subjects that are worth the weight in my adventure bag, and I intend on spending the next two weeks really getting to know myself again. The rest of this year is already filling up, and if I am to achieve half of what i expect of myself, I need to get my game face on. So my friends, thank you once again for reading. I will update you in two weeks, when I arrive back in the real world. I hope to have some insights to share with you all.


Into the light once more. 

19 comments:

  1. Dan,
    First off, great job calling tonight's fights. It must have been a real treat being there for that main event. I too have been an athlete most of my life and as of recently have been all but forced to explore other options. Im excited but reluctant as I set off into my newest obstacles. I hope you find what you're looking for in Peru and are able to come back with that unmatched clarity ☕️

    Cheers my friend,
    Parker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Parker, good luck with your new endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you havet the Heart condition Wpw? I havet it av well, does not affect me much.. -good luck! -Fan from Norway

      Delete
    2. Do you havet the Heart condition Wpw? I havet it av well, does not affect me much.. -good luck! -Fan from Norway

      Delete
  3. Good read mate. Enjoy the breather as you very much deserve it. I can relate to appreciating your own company. Something many of us dislike is being alone. But I too enjoy some me time as a kid growing up and into adulthood. Enjoy the break once again and see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck, sir. I hope you find what you are looking for.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow great read dan enjoy the trip i have always wanted to go on the inca trail think i may need to plan this for the future

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent last night. Excellent blog. Take care don there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your journey. I always find it interesting reading what you have to say on life. I hope you find what you're looking for and that the balance is restored. I await with interest your next moves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dan,

    I can relate to you quite a bit. I might not be an athlete but I am an introvert. For a long time I thought that there was something wrong with me. I would find myself sitting alone in silence and feeling content and happy. There are times I lock myself in a room, get a canvas out and just paint for hours. Doing this I would find the amazing fulfillment. When we have friends come over I find myself leaving the room to escape.

    As I get older my spirit seems to be yearning for a new direction and to really understand myself.

    Have a safe trip and I hope you find another piece of yourself.i look forward to reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it helps you at all, this is what I (and I'm sure many others) see in you: you, as a fighter, are a highly driven, fiercely competitive individual. And as an athlete that has competed at the highest levels of competition you define yourself by your achievements and your sport. So you're asking yourself now, if I'm not Dan "the fighter" then who am I? Well, really, you'll always be Dan "the fighter" (sounds like you're fighting with yourself right now) but you're also so much more than that. You are an exceptional role model. You exude kindness, respect and humility - some of the greatest human qualities than often only come from the strongest people. You represent hard work and determination and the ability to adapt and overcome adversary.

    I hope you find the Dan that makes you happy. You are an inspirational, multitalented person. You are loved and admired by thousands. Just keep on evolving into the person you're going to be. I promise you this is a fight you can't lose. You're a winner, Dan. You always have be and always will be. Winners always find a way to win.

    So, take your time, Dan. We'll be waiting.

    Much respect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Dan, I don't know if you'll read this or not, but I felt strongly about this enough so that I wanted to reach out in some way to say your words resonated in me. I have always been an introvert, and obsessive sometimes, in similar ways. I know some of the other comments say the same things but that just shows the wisdom of your words, you're getting at the root of your thoughts. And I think you're headed in the right direction to find your balance. Best of luck to you in whatever path you take. I'll always be a fan regardless, and thank you.

    Just a fan,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really enjoyed reading that Dan. Thanks for the honesty and courage to openly include us in your journey through your writing.
    I too can relate to your introvert comment and appreciate your craving for "me time". I find at times if I cant get that time alone to recharge I can feel exhausted.

    I always enjoyed following your fighting career, and love the analysis and presenting you do now. This blog is the icing on the cake mate, well done. Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great read Dan. I too am an introvert. I grew up my whole life with people thinking I was shy, stuck up, anti-social, or just an ass. While in reality, I just liked being to myself, either playing my guitar, listening to music or reading for hours in my room. When I would go out, I would only hang with a select group of friends, the ones I trusted and had known for the longest. These days I'm a little more social, but at the same time I did make a move this past year from NC to the mountains of Virginia if only because I've always loved nature and the seclusion of the outdoors. Others may see it as making yourself vulnerable or putting yourself out there in the great wife open, but for me true seclusion and reflection come while hiking the Appalachian trail or kayaking the Roanoke river. I find it to be soothing, a place to collect your thoughts, to put back the pieces of myself that have slowly been lost by engaging in this crazy world we live in. It's just a place I feel I can truly be free, step away and take a deep breath, so when I do come back into contact with the human race I'm calm, relaxed, focused and just genuinely happy. Oh and not wanting to kill someone is an added bonus as well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you achieve the clarity and balance you're searching for Dan. Great job in London and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Best wishes from Brooklyn, NY.
    Jimmy J

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you achieve the clarity and balance you're searching for Dan. Great job in London and thanks for sharing your thoughts. Best wishes from Brooklyn, NY.
    Jimmy J

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Dan, I won't bore you too long with my story as I was also a bit introverted, engrossed my life in sport as a youngster and thought been a grumpy bastard was the norm. It wasn't until I had my little boy that things became clearer. He was diagnosed young with Asperger's syndrome (a mild high functioning form of autism) I was petrified at first to what this meant for him and us. We researched this in depth ( like I said bit odd myself ) and my wife went on to write a dissertation on it. Anyway the more I learn and understand about this condition the more I think it is a blessing. It produces some anti social aspects to the character but the positive sides make a x-men next level human. Through studies most leading people in society ( you know Einstein , Gates, Warhol Henter s Thompson ) have suffered with being blessed with Aspergers. Anyway....,through this I have also realised I have aspergers and the knowledge of this has put my mind at peace with my reactions to people places and the other "odd" things I feel. Sorry for being a internet doctor on you and i apologise if you feel this out of place but through studies of this it really has helped me and I read you self diagnosis and I feel it may help you. If you wanted me to send you any information or stop being a interfering twat I'll be happy to do either. Wow this has become a weird ramble, anyway big fan from way back when and reading your post really touched me, hope the travels bring you peace and clarity.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the upmost respect for people that have the courage to expose themselves and share their struggles and desire for true change/growth. It seems to be a rare quality for people, even more so for those in the public eye. Thanks for being true to yourself and sharing it with the public, Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your thougths and feelings Dan. the path of self-knowledge is the true path, through which we can awaken from the dream we call reality. Learning or remembering the multidimensional beings we are and a new way of relating to ourselves and others in a healthy way.

    I find that humanity is in a process of expansion of consciousness and evolution that can not be stopped, and the people who have public scope and are on this path, who are honest and sincere with themselves and share their feelings seems a great contribution.

    My best wishes for you.

    Regards from Spain

    ReplyDelete